Song Name: Hari Haraye Namah Krsna Yadavaya Namah
Official Name: Sri Nama Sankirtana
Author: Narottama Dasa Thakura
hari haraye namaḥ kṛṣṇa yādavāya namaḥ
yādavāya mādhavāya keśavāya namaḥ
gopāla govinda rāma śrī-madhusūdana
giridhārī gopīnātha madana-mohana
hari guru vaiṣṇaba bhāgavata gītā
śrī-rūpa sanātana bhaṭṭa-raghunātha
śrī-jīva gopāla-bhaṭṭa dāsa-raghunātha
ei chay gosāir kori caraṇa vandan
jāhā hoite bighna-nāś abhīṣṭa-pūraṇ
ei chay gosāi jār—mui tār dās
tā-sabāra pada-reṇu mora pañca-grās
tādera caraṇa-sebi-bhakta-sańe bās
janame janame hoy ei abhilāṣ
ei chay gosāi jabe braje koilā bās
rādhā-kṛṣṇa-nitya-līlā korilā prakāś
ānande bolo hari bhaja bṛndāban
śrī-guru-vaiṣṇaba-pade majāiyā man
śrī-guru-vaiṣṇaba-pada-padma kori āś
nāma-sańkīrtana kohe narottama dāsa
1) Hari! Obeisances to Lord Hari, unto Krsna, and Yadava. Obeisances to Lord of the Yadus, Madhava, Kesava.
2) Gopala! Govinda! Rama! O vanquisher of Madhu! Giridhari! Lord of the gopis! Bewilderer of cupid!
3) Sri Caitanya, Nityananda, Sri Advaita-Sita! Hari! Guru! Vaisnavas! Srimad Bhagavatam! Bhagavad Gita!
4) All glories to Srila Rupa Goswami, Sanatana Goswami and Raghunatha Bhatta Goswami, to Srila Jiva Goswami, Gopala Bhatta Goswami, and Raghunatha Dasa Goswami!
5) I bow to the feet of these six Goswamis. By their grace, our obstacles can be destroyed and all desires are fulfilled.
6) I am the servant of these six Goswamis. The dust of their lotus feet is my fivefold subsistence.
7) To be a servant of their lotus feet and to reside in the company of devotees–this is my aspiration birth after birth.
8) When these six Goswamis lived in Vraja, they revealed the eternal pastimes of Sri Sri Radha and Krsna.
9) In ecstasy, sing the name of Lord Hari and worship Vrndavana, joyfully fixing your mind upon the lotus feet of the bona-fide spiritual master and the pure devotees.
10) The lotus feet of my guru and the Vaisnavas are my aspiration. Narottama Dasa thus sings Hari-nama sankirtana
Purport : Author: A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami
This song of Srila Narottama Dasa Thakura is very famous among devotees
in Bengal and Orissa. When Lord Caitanya returned from Gaya, where He was
initiated by Sri Isvara Puri, He was completely transformed into a Godintoxicated personality whom His students of grammar had never known
before. Instead of teaching ordinary grammar studies, Lord Caitanya explained
every sentence in such a way that every Sanskrit word and every letter was
understood to indicate Krsna, the Supreme Personality of Godhead. This form
of grammar was later on developed by Srila Jiva Gosvami in a book called Harinamamrta-vyakarana, The Grammar of the Nectar and Name of Sri Hari. But
Lord Caitanya’s students thought that their teacher had become mad, and they
rubbed His head with Visnu oil, an oil that cools the brain. Finally they asked
Him, “You say that everything means Krsna and we should ultimately always be
chanting the names of Krsna. Just how should we do this?” Then
Lord Caitanya began to sing the names of Krsna and clap His hands, and He
began His nama-sankirtana movement. The names He sang are the first two
lines of this song, and Narottama Dasa Thakura and others have placed these
names in the beginning of their writings to immortalize these events in the
memory of everyone.
Narottama Dasa Thakura chants the names of Lord Caitanya, Nityananda,
Sri Advaita and Sita (Lord Advaita’s consort). Since Lord Hari, the spiritual
master, and the Srimad Bhagavad-gita are all on the transcendental platform,
they are given the same respect. Then Srila Narottama Dasa chants the names
of the six Gosvamis. “I offer my obeisances at their feet,” he sings, “which
destroy sufferings accumulated over many long years. I am the servant of
these six Gosvamis, and the dust of their lotus feet is my five kinds of
foodstuffs. To serve their lotus feet and keep the association of devotees is my
only business, birth after birth.” When the six Gosvamis were staying
at Vrndavana, they revealed the eternal transcendental pastimes of
Sri Sri Radha-Krsna. Before Lord Caitanya the exact location of the places of
Lord Krsna’s pastimes were not known, and therefore Lord Caitanya instructed
the Gosvamis to uncover the holy places and construct temples.
The temple of Sri Radha Damodara is situated near the location of
the rasa dance, and Srila Rupa Gosvami and the other Gosvamis used to gather
there and discuss the topics of their literatures, which scientifically explained
the super-excellent pastimes of Sri Sri RadhaKrsna. Narottama Dasa Thakura says, “In great ecstasy shout the name
of Hari and serve the real transcendental master and devotees.” He concludes
by saying, “With all hopes in the lotus feet of my guru and the
holy Vaisnavas, Narottama Dasa sings the sankirtana of Lord Hari:
Hare Krsna Hare Krsna Krsna Krsna Hare Hare
Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare